Author Topic: Correct way to dimension at a certain location  (Read 157 times)

aldelgut

• View Profile
Correct way to dimension at a certain location
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum; hope you can help me with a question I have.
I need to specify in a drawing a dimension (x.xx) to be measured at a certain location (y). Can somebody tell me what is the correct way to specify it in the drawing? I include a sketch of what I'm trying to do, but I don't know if this is the correct way.

Thank you
<br /><br />

draftsperson.net

Correct way to dimension at a certain location
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »

ALLAN

• Administrator
  • Manager of Draftsperson.net Forums
    • View Profile
Re: Correct way to dimension at a certain location
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:26:44 AM »
Sometimes we put small circles around the points we are showing a dimension too, so it is clear where the dimension goes too.

draftandmodel

• Global Moderator
  • When Life Gives You Lemons
    • View Profile
    • https://www.draftandmodel.com.au
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:21:43 AM »
I think this is one of the first topics I read here so wanted to add a reply.

Your question can have many answers if I understand correctly. From a mechanical point of view there are so many details you can add to that initial dimension to help illustrate each and all necessary dimensions. Actually i am not sure where to start to build upon your base dimension. I am not an absolute expert just gained experience over the years and anything I would add may be purely subjective.

I think the best place to start would be to review your countries standards for mechanical drawings. As a good guideline here in Australia we have AS1100 General Principles. I have found whoever your work for will have their own subjective methods, and to sometimes make things even more difficult your clients have their own requirements.

One company I occasionally do work for develops their own standards and calls them AS1100, but they are not true AS1100, as they have re-written them with their own adjustments, but they still call them AS1100. I guess this is borrowing standards. I actually find it quite amusing.  :)

Anyway I got a bit off track. Just my opinion on this one.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:23:38 AM by draftandmodel »

ALLAN

• Administrator
  • Manager of Draftsperson.net Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:08:23 AM »
The AS1100 statement is very amusing! It's like saying what we have made up and no one else is using is the industry standard. Who cares what the real code actually says. Ha ha. I like it.

draftandmodel

• Global Moderator
  • When Life Gives You Lemons
    • View Profile
    • https://www.draftandmodel.com.au
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:51:02 AM »
Yes I think their use of AS1100 is a 'Strawman Theory' basis for when, or if something falls over.