Author Topic: Streamlined Methods for User Toolbox Between PC's  (Read 159 times)

draftandmodel

• Global Moderator
  • When Life Gives You Lemons
    • View Profile
    • https://www.draftandmodel.com.au
Streamlined Methods for User Toolbox Between PC's
« on: August 12, 2018, 04:25:55 AM »
Hi,

Just thought I would add a general enquiry as to what methods are used for transferring your onw 'working toolbars (toolbox items) when moving from one work station to the next.

For many years now I have been carrying around a custom toolbar which has served me well. I usually load it with CUILOAD have to load all icon directories. This is no major drama but there are so many items I would like to add to my toolbox, but resetting it up can eat into productive time, and for the most part I work for myself now anyway.

This is an interesting topic when you include engineers ideas regarding drafters, they seem to think you can just adjust your chair up to any PC and draft perfectly instantly, which I find typically narcissistic. In my industry to get the job done right and efficiently the work station needs to set up for each individual drafter, and we all have our own particular ways. Apart from adjusting your chair correctly and loading in keyboard shortcuts and LISP files we also need our toolbox's.

I would like to hear what others use with AutoCAD. 

draftsperson.net

Streamlined Methods for User Toolbox Between PC's
« on: August 12, 2018, 04:25:55 AM »

ALLAN

• Administrator
  • Manager of Draftsperson.net Forums
    • View Profile
Re: Streamlined Methods for User Toolbox Between PC's
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:00:54 PM »
I just spent a entire day setting up a new CAD station and retiring the old one. It sure is not just a walk up to any PC and start work.

In regards to the favourite tool kit, I made most of mine into LISP routines which I run thru the command line. Gave up on messing around with toolbars ages ago. But that method works fine too.

Forbes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
Being old school, I have recently converted from toolbars to Ribbon, and what I have done is I have created a sub-folder in AutoCAD where I keep all my lisps, icons, etc.

I created a custom workspace where I have made changes, added all my custom commands CUIX menu, and lisps etc. and in the options, Files, Support File search path, I have added my sub-directories.
I also load my lisps in start-up suite.

Once everything was up and running, I copied the files as well as the Acad CUIX file onto a stick which I use to install if I need to used a different computer. I found that the Acad CUIX file contained some of the info, so it was safer to copy it as well.

That worked for me.

ALLAN

• Administrator
  • Manager of Draftsperson.net Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 12:16:33 AM »
I agree with you about the custom workspace and tools make of the best drafting outcomes.

I dropped my custom toolbar a few years ago, just use AutoCAD out of the box. But I also use Revit and Civil 3D alot so not so much on the AutoCAD as in the past. I moved my main special tools to LISP and run them as a command as needed.