Author Topic: After Graduating?  (Read 83 times)

twardjr

• View Profile
After Graduating?
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:49:04 AM »
Hi all,

Just curious about some of your choices after graduating. I've gone back to school for an associates in arch/mech drafting and have a few semesters to go.
Looking ahead I'd like to hear what others have done to make themselves marketable to the jobs you are now doing?
Also, would if you could go back in time and do something extra (i.e. CNC certification, or Architectrual/or Mech Engineering) what would you have don differently based on upward mobility/variety of work you could be doing?
I'm debating on what to do so I increase my hiring potential and before getting hired I'd like to be setup for more career growth options.

Thanks for any responses.

draftsperson.net

After Graduating?
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:49:04 AM »

draftandmodel

• Global Moderator
  • When Life Gives You Lemons
    • View Profile
    • https://www.draftandmodel.com.au
Re: After Graduating?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 07:31:25 AM »
Hi twardjr,

I can only speak from old school, as I am an old fella. Honestly now with most of my career behind me, my thoughts are leave when you feel it's time to leave and join the workforce. You cannot substitute hands on real world experience. If you enjoy accumulating degrees, keep going.

In my experience when an employer interviews you they nearly always want to know what experience you have and where, many don't get hired because they simply don't have experience. Having said that in my industry there are opportunities for grads, that is usually to crunch numbers as inexpensive employment.

A huge topic but in the end most realize you just need to be happy day to day with what you do and you will be successful.

Just my thoughts.