Author Topic: AISC Standardised Structural Connections Manual  (Read 5954 times)

lamensterms

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
AISC Standardised Structural Connections Manual
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:00:30 AM »
Hi,

I've got a general note on some structural design drawings: 

Connections not specifically detailed shall be in accordance with the appropriate connections detailed in the AISC Standardised Structural Connections Manual.

A few questions:

What is the "AISC Standardised Structural Connections Manual"?

Is that the accurate title of the document?

Is it right for an Australian engineer to be referencing American standards?

Is there an Australian equivalent?

Thanks for any help.

draftsperson.net

AISC Standardised Structural Connections Manual
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:00:30 AM »

ALLAN

• Administrator
  • Manager of Draftsperson.net Forums
    • View Profile
Re: AISC Standardised Structural Connections Manual
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:59:14 AM »
I have used this in the past for a Job in LA and Guam, But it will never work for Australian projects. The load combinations show are they in Kips? Metric countries use the SI unit of KiloNewtons.

Also to consider is no Australian Standard for NCC publication would make reference to an American document.

wai

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 07:15:30 AM »
A few questions:

What is the "AISC Standardised Structural Connections Manual"?

Is that the accurate title of the document?

Is it right for an Australian engineer to be referencing American standards?

Is there an Australian equivalent?

Ok, AISC (Australian Institute of Steel Construction) used to pit out a document with that name. I do not believe that that particular document is now available.

If you go to http://www.steel.org.au, and pick the Bookshop button, you will see the new publications covering what you are looking for.

The publications are:

Handbook 1: Design of structural steel connections. Background and theory
Design Guide 1: Bolting in structural steel connections
Design Guide 2: Welding in structural steel connections
Design Guide 3: Web side plate connections
Design Guide 4: Flexible end plate connections
Design Guide 5: Angle cleat connections
Design Guide 6: Seated connections
Design Guide 7: Pinned base plate connections for columns

The list goes on, and you can buy sets for less than them individually.

You might want to explore these. They contain a lot more information than the previous Standardized Structural Connections that were essentially for bolted connections. Of course, these are more expensive but depending on what you are doing, you might not need the full set.

On referencing the American standards, there is no issue as long as they are the same or better. The thing is that standards bodies around the world share information and so in many cases the standards are essentially identical. Any engineer should be able to work in any set of units. I may have an advantage in that when I was getting my engineering qualification, we were instructed in both Imperial and Metric, and we were examined in both - could not pick one set of units only :)

lamensterms

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:18:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys.

The only other clue I was able to find online was a reference made in a "Association of Consulting Structural Engineers Victoria" General Notes PDF.  It seems they are referring to the Australian Institute of Steel Construction manual, as you mentioned WAI.

Thanks a lot for the info on the design guides.  I've been meaning to get my hands on a copy of the Australian steel detailers' handbook (http://steel.org.au/bookshop/australian-steel-detailers-handbook/), but was holding off... I was under the impression that the AISD were updating and republishing it.  Not sure if that is still happening, the AISD website is down at the moment, so not sure if they're still around.

ALLAN

• Administrator
  • Manager of Draftsperson.net Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »
No way use AISC in Australia, you could use the principles and ideas of the American Standard, but imperial dimensions and kips for loading? We are metric! Also I have never seen a reference to it in any Australian code or standard.

There is an organisation called the Australian Steel Institute (ASI) they produce publications on steel connections, steel detailing etc. Perhaps the reference should point to ASI not AISC?

wai

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:51:43 AM »
The reason to use Australian standardised connections is because fabricators will have jigs, punches, drills, etc. for these connections. If you call up something different, fabricators will either further refine them or charge you extra for custom connections.